Friday, January 7, 2011

The First Week of 2011

Dec. 30th – Jan. 1st - Rundu Beach New Year Party!! It was pretty much one of the best parties I have been too! The singing and dancing was off the hook!!! There are some amazingly talented people here. While at it may seem strange for a “missionary” to go to a party this time really helped me understand this place a lot better. I learned that people here are very similar to people at home and all across the world. They love to have a good time, relax, sing, dance, and just hang out! It may have been one of the best nights I have had since moving to Africa.

Jan. 2nd – Church at EBC NDAMA. It was great to run into a girl (Judith) I met in the beginning of December. We also had two friends over in the evening. They typically come to check their email, but since our internet was down we all just hung out. They taught us some traditional African dancing! It was a blast.

Jan. 3-7th – Work in hospital. It was pretty slow week… it’s holiday mode here!

It is raining every day now. The river has flooded and things are so green. (Our backyard garden is growing!!) It is beautiful, and nice to have relief from the heat. Let's just say it does not feel like January.

Jan. 4th – Rob, Alisa, & family – moved to Windhoek. :( They are the missionary family that lived next door.

Jan. 5th – A great evening with our team here in Namibia! Laura’s birthday (my awesome roommate)!! We got a chicken!!! (So we were supposed to get two chickens but one died in transit – Clementine smashed her! I am excited to have a “pet”. Laura named her Clementine)

Jan. 6th – We went to a 1 year old birthday party in the village. We walked there and back (about an hour and half walk one way). It was a cute party with great food and so nice to be in the village!

Jan. 7th – I ran into my friend Judith on my walk home from work so she joined me for lunch!
So that’s my week in review!! I am already anticipating this next week… I will be doing a home stay in a village.

I would love to hear how your first week of the New Year went. Email me!!

Be blessed and have much peace my brothers and sisters.
alysse

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a sweet week!
    Vernon just got back from Africa and has already asked a few times about what the hospital is like where you work.
    ...Care to comment on the hospital- the people, the conditions, the way work is done...basically the overall feel you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that note about your chicken dying in transit made me laugh so hard! poor little hen. :(

    ReplyDelete