Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Wallet

You often realize the value of a simple possession like a wallet, when you lose. Yes, as you may have guessed, I lost my wallet! Losing a wallet in the U.S.A. means you put your credit cards on hold and re-apply for your license. Yes, it is annoying and frustrating… but now image trying to do that living in Africa!

Friday, January 7th I lost my wallet on my walk home from work. It must have slipped out of my pocket at some point. I did not realize I had even lost my wallet till that evening after my roommate Laura had taken a walk. When she returned, she mentioned she had been stopped by some white guys in a truck, asking her if she had lost or knew of a person who lost a wallet. Immediately, I got up to double check I had my own wallet. After tearing up the house and with no wallet to be found, Laura and I started to put our heads together about her interaction with the guys that stopped her. They said, “It was a girl (white) had blonde hair. A black wallet and there was 50 Namibian.” Yes, I am a white girl but I do not have blonde hair, it’s brown. My wallet it brown, not black; but I knew I only and exactly 50 Namibian in my wallet. I was pretty sure that was my wallet! The boys also mentioned that they worked at a butchery shop next to a hardware store. The next morning Laura and I set off on foot to visit every butchery shop in town! In the first week that I lived here a friend from the hospital, Modias, made me a map of the city. It was a great map so I called him up for help. He made sure that we hit all the butchery shops in Rundu. Now take a moment to picture two white girls walking in, trying to explain why you were at their butchery shop looking for a lost wallet (which you did not lose in their store or even near by!!) It was rather comical!

After a couple of hours of searching with no luck I started to accept the fact that I may never see my wallet again. It was sobering. Three times over the next week, I went to the police station, praying and hoping someone would have turned in my wallet. At this point I did not care about the credit cards - I had them on hold and could easily reapply for a new credit card - the only thing I really cared about was my license.

Two weeks before moving to Africa I unofficially moved addresses to back to my parents address, but I did not reapply for a Michigan driver license. Reapplying for an Indiana license was also not going to be possible for I was not living in the same address on my license and technically not even in Indiana. After reading for about an hour to attempt to reapply for a license, I succumbed to the fact I may not have a license till I returned to America this fall. This would mean I technically should not drive nor could I ever provide for someone two sources of identification, someone often important when traveling. Another very sobering thought.

On Thursday, January 20th, I was taking the same walk I take to everyday to work every day. Almost half way to town, I was stopped by a woman in a truck. She said, “Hey did you lose a wallet; is this your wallet?” As held up my wallet!!! I leapt and yelled… “YES, YES, YES!!!” Running to her truck I could barely believe I was holding my wallet again. Everything was still in it! My credit cards, my 50 Namibian, and most importantly my license. It was a miracle!

Whoever picked up my wallet has family who works the butchery shop next to the hardware store in town. We had been to this butcher shop, but I do not believe all the family nor the employees aware that I had lost my wallet. They were waiting to see me again to give it to me.

As I reflect on this phenomenal story I am truly amazed! Who would think you could lose your wallet in Africa and have it laid back into your hand almost two weeks later with nothing stolen. It is a miracle of the Lord! Phenomenal!

3 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! Bravo God!
    You definitely would not have seen that cash again in the states! Awesome that you had some many people surrounding you supporting you in your search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story. I will tell it to all my friends! It twas a great miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome story Alysse! I agree with Julie.. Bravo God! Can't wait to skype with you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete