Saturday, February 12, 2011

Theatre - Rundu State Hospital

Since moving to Africa I have posted very little about my job… what I do most of the time!
Yes, I am working in the Theatre (operating room) in Rundu State Hospital!
I have starting scrubbing surgeries again (I had to wait a LONG time for paperwork to get processed.)

I scrub about one or two surgeries a day – depending on how many people surgeries we have and how many people we have working. I have learned to scrub C-Sections… one of the fastest surgeries that you can possible scrub. I have also learned the in’s and out’s of pre-operative and post-operative care.

Let me take a week ago Friday as an example of a busy day… we did 6 surgeries among 4 nurses between 09:30 and 13:00, including pre-op and post-op: 2 eye surgeries, 2 hernias and 2 mass excisions. It always is extra busy when we do not have any student nurses helping out or turning over rooms.

The people I work with in the Theatre have been great and I have really enjoyed these making these relationships. I have started to invite, on occasion, different people from the Theatre over for dinner, and this has allowed me to get to know some of them on a more personal level. They are very kind and treat me like a princess, esp. the Cubian doctors! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment