Sunday, February 27, 2011

Refreshing

Today was just one of those days that made me fall in love with this place even more. This morning Laura and I set off on foot for Church, yet did not have directions to the Church. My friend had texted me “I will direct you”. I will direct you where?! :) When you receive texts of that nature or directions with a finger snap and general wave of hand you often wonder if you will really get to your destination! People are often very vague; sometimes you can use for your advantage and sometimes it is annoying. We were able to meet my friend and proceeded to Church. It was a good service (that did not last all day!!) and they preached from the Bible! Out of all the Churches I have attended in Namibia this was my favorite! I hope I can go again soon. The preacher spoke in English but the sermon was translated also into Portuguese and Rukwangali. They spoke very clearly. It was great to be able to follow the sermon so well, but also learn some language at the same time.

After Church we had been invited to eat dinner with a family. These invitations come few and far between but what made this dinner extra special is that we were able to cook. I felt like one of the family! While in no way do I want to boast about my African cooking skills (still learning), I feel as if I am getting better. There are specific techniques that one must learn to cook pap and mutate properly. I also loved our dinner conversation about things that really matter like salvation and having a real relationship with the Lord. Not very often do the people here have truly meaningful and deep conversations. It was so refreshing! Other highlights of the day was playing hide-n-seek with a six year old and feeding a six month old.
My heart is overflowing with joy.
Thank-you Lord for days like today!

p.s. I hear rain drops hitting our roof! I love the rain!

1 comment:

  1. Last night I was being refreshed from a thunderstorm and hearing the raindrops pounding on my roof. I'm sure our experiences are quite different, but I thought of you off in your desert lands!

    ReplyDelete