Saturday, November 20, 2010

Life does not have to alwasy be measurable - Part 2

I have been wrestling with the concept of measurability, and as I have struggled with this concept I have realized that I measure everything. I measure the amount of time I do an activity, the quality of my conversations, the job or work I do, my ability to make a simple meal, and even the quality of my writing.

I set many goals with thoughts that someday maybe I will measure up and met those goals, accomplish that task, or fulfill that dream or desire. Because we live in the constraints of time, because I have grown up in such a time orientated culture, because I was pushed as a child to make something of myself, because I was given self confidence, because I am a very motivated person, because the Lord has given me many dreams, desires, and purposes (the list could go on and on) – I value the measure of an accomplishment.

On that note I want to make a distinct point. We all have sinned. It says that in the book of Romans. We are born short of hitting the measure. Not one of us can attempt to be good enough; wise enough; strong enough… it is like chasing the wind. It is sobering to think that we will never truly win or measure up. But that is where Jesus comes in! I could beat down the point of His redemption in our life, how we live a new life in Him, and all this is completely true and beautiful.
Quite amazing!

I would like to make this point as well… we will never save ourselves nor should we try.
Rather we should LIVE as the REDEEMED!
We should live in such a way that would please the Lord. This may mean, since we live in the constraints of time and sin, that we use our time wisely, avoid sin, stay accountable for our actions, live out the greatest commandment.
I think that living as state above is often “measureable”. It may not be measureable as starting from point A to point B, but we will never proceed to point C if we do not even attempt to go to point B. It is a continuum with many checkpoints on the way, some that are key checkpoints and others that are not even recognizable.

On a personal note, I believe this struggled with measurability has struck me more in the collective culture of Africa.
Collective Africa culture does not promote or show individual measurable outcomes as often.
It is difficult for us to see and to fit (change our mindset) on life when life itself is less measurable. I am struggling and enjoying the new found freedom of living in this setting.
I enjoy the less pressure while feel unproductive at many times.
It is an oxymoron to live here!

No comments:

Post a Comment