Monday, November 15, 2010

Life does not have to be Measureable

I have been challenged over that last few weeks of how ministry does not need to be measureable! You may be thinking I am crazy for saying this; but, I honestly think it is not all about the outcome, much more about the process. When it comes to evangelism we want the outcome to be having a new believer. When it comes to a dying body we want a well body. When it comes to a broken mind we want a restored mind. When it comes to unjust social relationships and violence we want justice and reconciliation. When it comes to the decaying of creation we want sustained and restored creation. Above is a list of problem and results that we want… If all of the results happen we may consider our world transformed, “developed”, and maybe even more spiritual. While the results may look great often we only think about one or two aspects mentioned above. We qualify and think ‘we have made it’. Life is not about making or losing it – things that are measurable. LIFE is about SO much more!

I have been reading a book “Walking with the Poor”. At the end of the last chapter this really stuck out to me: “We know we cannot bring the kingdom, yet we are committed to work for its coming. Living and working in the sinful here and now, while believing in the coming of the sinless kingdom, is a uniquely Christian stance. Care needs to be taken that we understand that we are being asked by God to be obedient, not successful.”

Life is far more about being faithful and obedient to the Lord than placing a tick mark of your “good deed for the day”. (Although I am not in anyways discounting the need for discipline.) “It is a glorious revelation to realize that we are not big enough to find our own way or to meet our own needs, but there is One who is.” “He enters our existence and brings order where there is chaos, life where there is death. Where there is ambiguity, God brings certainty, and were there is ignorance, he brings knowledge and truth. These qualities – order, life, certainty, knowledge, and truth – can come only out of the biblical view of God.” (This Day With the Master)

Life is far more about simply following Jesus.
Serving as Jesus served.
Caring as Jesus cared.
Loving as Jesus loved.
Following or redeemed and risen Lord!

As I reflect on my own thoughts above I am challenged to pose this question to you.

“Are you at peace in not seeing measurable outcomes?”
(In no way am I discrediting the power of a changed heart, mind, and spirit.)

And with controversy I ask. “Are you at peace doing whatever ministry or job you do without ever seeing measureable differences or transformation in the lives of the people you touch? Would you continue to do that thing if you never saw the difference you were making?”

I can not say that I always speak or act with a heart of contentment and peace; but my prayer is that I will live Hebrews 11:1 “faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see”.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alysse,
    These questions about measurable outcome vs obedience are some I asked before I decided to go where I am now. I can't say they are or will be completely answered, but I am content to let Him answer or not, and follow obediently anyway.

    I was reading something from Beth Moore that made some sense with this idea of whether or not we think we need to see measurable outcomes in ministry: "God protects us from pride by keeping us somewhat unaware of the degree to which we are effectively glorifying HIM."
    For protecting me the majority of the time, I thank the Lord!
    Keep reading, seeking and sharing, my love!

    ReplyDelete