Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Update on life. Give Thanks. Video.

I recently wrote this letter for the 20Somethings Give Thanks Banquet. (College Park Church --
Indianapolis, Indiana). I think it give a good picture of my life here.

Hey 20s!!!

It's Alysse, signing-in from Africa!
Let me give you all a quick update on my life before you watch the video on what I am most thankful for this thanksgiving season.

This email may be one of the main ways I celebrate thanksgiving as they do not have that holiday here. I think us American will celebrate, but I am sure it will be nothing like home.

My days here are starting to turn into a more typical routine, which has been welcomed since I have been in flux for quite sometime. Monday through Friday I work at Rundu State Hospital in the Theatre (operating room) from 8 - 1 p.m. It is shorter hours, but I have stayed pretty busy most of the time I am there and don't typically get a big break or lunch. The 30 minute walks to and from work makes the day/ morning stretch even longer! The afternoon walk home can be partially painful as it is VERY hott here right now. One patient I saw last week was half eaten by a Hippo. (I do not recommend swimming in the river here!) He only had one arm and leg! Hopefully, he will keep his other leg, it does not look so great!

Tuesday and Friday afternoons are spent at the Orphan and Vulnerable Children Project in a small village about 5 kilometers outside of Rundu. Yes, I am starting to convert to kilometers and Celsius when it comes to measurements! I am also learning to drive on the “wrong” side of the road, shifting with my left hand! The children are so cute and fun to hang out with, but I ask you to pray for our group as we are not clear on what our role should and should not be in this project. It is not our desire to put a band aid (come in as "saviors") when dealing with the needs of this project; we desire our ministry to be sustainable. Pray that the Lord let leaders (that are not doing anything) give their positions up and allow the other leaders to rise up.

In general please continue to pray that are team continues to grow in depth and not just time spent together. Also pray for general health. It is hard to do ministry when you do not feel well. Lastly, please pray that the Lord will continue to put many people in our paths that we build solid relationships with!

Recently, I decided that you all should move to Africa!! I am frequently reminded of you all wishing could enjoy some of the sites and sounds of Africa. For example, my main source of transportation, when I am not walking, is riding in a back of a bukkie or truck as you may know it! It is incredible to stand up in the back of a truck and look at all the stars late at night!
There is so much material wealth that could expound of being partially grateful for, but much more than that I am grateful that the Lord is with me.

Praying for you all! Keep in touch! I have internet access at my fingertips!

In Christ Love and Happy Thanksgiving Season!
Alysse


I also recorded the following video of what I am most thankful for this thanksgiving season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buZI5Lvcx9I

No comments:

Post a Comment